You have to remain on site

In the course of your initial reception, a residential obligation (Aufenthaltsverpflichtung) applies, often called Residenzpflicht. That means that your residence is restricted to a certain area (administrative or urban district). Residential obligation exists in order that public authorities are able to reach you anytime and that you receive important documents in time. It is valid at least three months or as long as you are obliged to remain at the federal state reception center.

If you want to visit relatives or if you need to leave your initial reception area for other reasons, you need permission (leave pass – Urlaubsschein). You can apply for permission at the Federal Office. If you leave the area without permission, you will face a fine; in case of recurrence, criminal proceeding is imminent.